During winter the presence of chapped lips tends to increase. It can take a long time to regenerate our lips which is not good news because chapped lips are painful. If you also experience such issues, check how to prevent it using home remedies.
What causes chapped lips?
There are two reasons for chapped and cracked lips. These are health factors – vitamin B deficiency, dehydration, changes in the hormonal balance. The skin on our lips is very delicate, thin and prone to various injuries. Weather conditions can also cause cracking and pain.
Chapped lips remedies
The most important in the care of chapped lips is nutrition, hydration and systematic care. For this reason:
- on a daily basis use moisturising and protective lipsticks with a natural composition, exfoliate and massage them and apply regenerating masks;
- try to avoid licking your lips outside;
- avoid cosmetics with alcohol, use products with UV filters and natural ingredients;
- omit coloured lipsticks and lip glosses.
- Natural oils and butters are best for chapped lips. They soothe irritations, regenerate flaky skin and protects from both UVA and UVB rays. It should be applied in a minimum amount and thoroughly spread. Apply a thick layer once a week before the bedtime and you will wake up with soft lips.
- Honey contains amino acids, vitamins and enzymes, thanks to which it moisturises, firms up and exfoliates the epidermis. This sweet delicacy has antibacterial properties, which prevents cracking and the development of infection. In winter, honey should be applied two or three times a day for about 10 minutes. The lips will be moisturised and will gain a healthy colour.
- Aloe vera moisturises, soothes and stimulates the production of collagen and elastin, which speeds up skin cell renewal. Apply a thin layer of aloe to your lips as often as you need and leave. If you do not have such a plant at home, buy a product containing aloe in the pharmacy. The higher the content of Aloe vera juice, the higher the concentration of active ingredients.
- Cream and cottage cheese contain fat that moisturises and softens the skin of the lips. After applying the product, wait 15 minutes and then wipe off any excess cream or cottage cheese.
- Vitamins A and E regenerate the epidermis, protect it against free radicals, ensure proper hydration and nutrition. Products with such ingredients work very well on dry and cracked lips. You can buy capsules containing the vitamins and then rub them into your lips.
- If you want to get rid of flaky skin, you can use a peeling scrub. You can use either the one from the shop, or you can prepare it at home. Mix sugar with honey and herbal distillate or other liquid cosmetic. Apply a small amount on your lips and massage gently. Remember not to rub the skin too much. Having finished, apply a moisturising cream.
Lip masks for chapped lips
The best masks for chapped lips ale made from avocado and banana. Prepare the first one by mixing avocado with oil and apply on your lips. Thanks to this, your lips will be moisturised and protected against weather conditions. The second mask, on the other hand, is made by mixing banana with a spoon of cream and a few drops of olive oil. Apply it for 15 minutes and then wipe off. Cream and banana will nourish your lips.